On Friday afternoon, after all of the SimpleUpdates staff had left, I stayed by the office to do some cleanup and small jobs.
In the span of a few hours I had several visitors, and one of them handed me a DVD case, and asked, have you ever seen this?
It was a DVD case in a sleve, a small booklet that was packaged in the case with mostly images, and a DVD in the case.
The picture on the cover was a childs’s toy robot, and a small line of text:
001 Lump : Rob Bell
So I pop the DVD into my computer, and it starts up with an artictic perspective of someones shoes. And there is a small white ball being bounced between the shoes. The person filling the shoes is sitting in his livingroom, and starts the conversation about this small white ball.
The coversation moves from the small white ball to his son, and how this small white ball relates to life. I was impressed by what I saw. (If i have pricked your interest, chech it out on YouTube.)
A few things became apparent:
1) The videography was compelling
2) The audio was a monolog of a pastor talking about real life issues. In “Lump” he is dealing with the truth that “Nothing you can ever do will make God love you less.”
3) The video and background audio help recreate the story, but are never center stage.
4) The viedo is shot from artistic positions. It is not a talking head video. And the feeling is one of a “real” conversation, about something that is important.
5) I was drawn to focus on the message.
SimpleUpdates as a company is interested in using technology to impact people for good. Do you have ideas worth trying out? Let’s stir the idea kettle together!